Thursday, October 20, 2011

Portugese Kidney Bean Soup
Barbara Leal Peugh

My mom made the best portuges soups... this one I've learned to ACE thanks to her skillfull teaching and the fact that she had it published  in her church cookbook.   Whenever I miss my mom sometimes I will make her soup. Comfort food for sure. Served with sweet bread ( aka Kings Hawaiin Bread) .


Serves 6 to 8

1 Medium onion
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
7 Cups Water
1 pound cooked smoked ham or 1 ham bone
1 large Linguicia sliced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp allspice
1.2 Cup tomato sauce
1 can/jar Marinara sauce
3-1/2 Cups red kidney beans or pink beans ( cooked or canned)
1 Cup sliced carrots
3 Cups peeled and diced potatoes
salt and pepper to taste

In large soup kettle cook onions with garlic powder in oil until lightley browned, add and brown linguicia . Add water and the ham bone. Bring to Boil. Reduce heat, simmer about 30 minutes.Add bay leaf, allspice, tomato sauce and Marinara sauce, beans and potatoes and carrots, simmer covered for one hour. Remove hambone and cut up the meat and return it to the soup.


In memory of my mom. One proud Portugese woman!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’ve falling in love with Patchouli oil.

Hello!  After the holiday’s my face likes to break out in blemishes. It’s mostly because of all the junk food I consume. The good thing is t...